Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Splash of Colour


Today after an eventful day at work where I tried my hand at something new in just about everything that I did,  I decided to venture into new territory.

Gnocchi with Soy Sauce

Half a package of gnocchi
Chicken Stock
Butter
Soy Sauce
Sugar
Pepper

This is basically the same recipe as the last gnocchi, except I dosed on a sugary-soy sauce mixture. About 2 teaspoons of sugar and a generous splash of soy sauce. It tasted absolutely fabulous. The slight sweetness of the chewy gnocchi pairs nicely with the saltiness of the soy sauce. 


Summer Squash

Fresh squash
Fresh/frozen green peas
Mushrooms cut into bitable pieces
Onions
Soy sauce
Hoisin sauce
Sugar


1.     Boil the squash. I used the left-over stock-water from the gnocchi. Alternatively, you can steam it if you want to retain more of the nutrients.



2.     Heat up a frying pan. Put in half a tablespoon of butter, or as much as you want =)

3.     Drop in the onions. Hear the sizzling!

It’s a real simple recipe that you can whip up in minutes. The hoisin sauce really brings out the freshness and sweetness of the squash. The green peas add some nice color that's in tune with the season, while the mushrooms add some additional texture. 

Summer Squash

I did the whole meal plus tomorrow’s lunch (while waiting for the gnocchi and square to boil) in half an hour.

In order to cool off from the heat, I busted out our new blender with this:

Blueberry-Raspberry-Watermelon Goodness

Chunks of Watermelon
3-6 ice cubes (mine was green tea ice)

Flower power ice cubes (the slightly green ones are green tea)

a handful of blueberries
1 mini Dannon yogurt (mine was Raspberry flavoured)

Drop in all the ingredients

Let me stress that it is very important to read the instructions before using a blender. I however, did not.

I dumped in the watermelon and some watermelon juice into the blender alongside with the other ingredients. When I transferred it to an adjacent table near the plug, all the juice dripped out!

Yea, don’t be lazy like me. Take that out that instruction manual and read it before using. Apparently you’re supposed to turn the blender container upside-down before installing the blade part to secure it tightly.

Also because the cords in my place is not properly installed (either too short or not near the kitchen), I had to actually hold up the blender to reach it.

But alas, it was well worth the pain. Thankfully, I just had to pulse it for a few seconds and voila! This wonderful concoction can be altered however you want it to fit your taste buds.

Ahhh…relaxation…and I’m now sipping on it while writing up this blog! (Not thinking about the mountain of dishes right 
now...)

No comments:

Post a Comment